Wednesday 3 April 2013

Who Decides ?


It happened when I was in Kolkata , way back during the summer 2002. I was accommodated in a spacious guest house of ITC over looking Hooghly River in Chandrahati, Tribeni , during one of the project assignments.

I was fascinated by a full grown mango tree , which had numerous mangoes of similar sizes , which had its branches very close to the guest house room. I was told that the tree was almost 70 years old  at that time , which came up on its own during the British rule , during 1930’s .  All other trees were documented and captioned with the name of the VIPs , who had planted them during different occasions.  This particular mango tree was not documented .


I took a liking for a particular healthy mango , which was on top of all the branches and visible only from particular angles . I kept on watching that particular mango , daily , out of curiosity. I used to watch some urchins aiming at that mango and pelting stones , only to be driven away by the Guest House warden , for the fear of breaking window panes. The Guest Warden himself had a liking for that particular mango.

One day , during the lunch interval I happened to see a group of contract workers , plucking the mangoes , since it was given on lease. The guest house warden had instructed the contract workers to hand over that particular mango , after they have plucked all of them , since he liked that particular mango.  Somehow the workers could manage to give the warden some other mango , since that particular mango was un-reachable and risky. Since we used to have one hour lunch time, I was able to hear all the conversations going on between them.

In the evening , when I returned to my room around 0530 pm , I got the answer. One full grown green parrot , was enjoying that particular mango fruit , which escaped the attention of everyone. I too was enjoying the happiness of the parrot . Around 0545 pm ,I have realized , who had decided ?


I could sincerely and hopefully guess  that un-documented mango tree , would have parted with that particular “last mango” of the season to that green parrot , whose great grand parents , might have dropped that mango seed , which had grown over these 70 and odd years , as a gesture.                                                                  

A true incident

No comments:

Post a Comment