Friday 29 March 2013

Patience pays


True Incident in 1954 in Marina Beach .

We were living in Sydoji Lane , near Pycrofts Road in Triplicane, Chennai . The incident dates back to the year 1954 , when I was 10 years old and I used to go to Marina Beach along with my playmates to play. I do not remember the date. 

I happened to be near the sea around 05:00 pm , when I was attracted by the sight of a lone fisherman remaining still , making small movements from left to right and right to left along the sea shore .  He was clad in just a towel tightly wrapped around his waist and has sensed a big fish being caught , having taken the bite attached to a long nylon rope ,leading to the fisherman.  

Out of curiosity I was very closely watching the fisherman following his  movements . He was almost walking , giving more and more loose rope to the fish , and tightening the rope with utmost caution , without making the fish realise  that it has been caught. His action lasted for more than 45 minutes and he was just moving from Marina Beach along the sea shore , near Presidency College side to the place near the Vivekananda House.  I was wonderstruck  when his patience and skill had resulted in the haul of an unimaginable huge fish.

Soon after the ordeal , I went upto him and congratulated him in simple words in tamil . He has seen me as a lone boy , following him during the past 45 minutes with curiosity , wanting to see the results. He was the happiest man at that moment, while I was with him . I could see a sense of achievement in his face. As he was waiting for his brother to come and sell the fish on the spot for a better price , I struck a conversation with him. He has disclosed his name as Idumban. He just told me that the bait, the hook, the nylon rope and the steel rod are only simple gadgets for the path he had chosen.  It is the skill combined with enormous patience that brings the results .On returning home , I narrated this incidence to my father and playmates. 

A good teacher need not be educated and the best philosophy of life can come from such simple fishermen. 


Rangarajan Bangalore 29.03.2013







No comments:

Post a Comment